Friday, December 31, 2010

Sign up for Mint.com

Before going out to your News Years Party tonight, sign up with Mint.com and put a few of your financial accounts in. When 2011 begins, you'll be all set to watch your finances more closely, and get a better handle on where your money is actually going.

I got a free copy of Quicken Basic recently, and I test driving it. I'll let you know how it compares in a future post, but it supposed to do the same as Mint. It's even published by the same company, Intuit. I imagine it's better, since it's a paid product. Regardless of what you use, Mint, Intuit, pen and paper, it's impossible to save money if you don't know how it's being spent.

Signed up now? Good. Now go party!

3 comments:

  1. FWIW Intuit bought Mint only recently, so the featuresets probably aren't in sync yet. At the time of the acquisition, I thought Mint was a far superior product to anything Intuit was charging for, and--if they hadn't kept on the former CEO of Mint in the process--I probably would have moved to a competitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mostly pleased with Mint.com, but there severalfeatures that myself and other users have been demanding for over a year and Mint.com instead came out with their buggy "Goals" feature instead. My wish list:
    1) More than three months worth of saved transactions
    2) Graphs by account (e.g. a graph of my checking account only over time)
    3) Budgets in past months
    4) Fix Goals so that I can include assets other than liquid cash against the goal (e.g. for buying a house, the savings required should be less the est. value of my current property, or my car, etc.)

    I haven't played with Quicken yet other than to put in a few accounts. If you're right, than they're ripping people off by charging for an inferior product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quicken handles investments a lot better, but Mint supports linking up to a more financial institutions.

    ReplyDelete