Monday, March 29, 2010

Credit cards: taking my own advice

The next topic is in the works, sorry for the delay. Viola's birthday party consumed most of my time. In fact, I got so distracted I forgot a credit card payment. Mint.com notified me via email of the late fee. That was odd, but I logged in to my accounts and sure enough, I hadn't received my March statement. What happened was that I had just switched over to online statements (good things overall, less paper), but it seems Yahoo! mail didn't white list the email address correctly (typo, my bad) and I instead got a late charge and an interest payment. The white list was easy to fix, but would the bank be as cooperative?

About ten minutes ago, per my own advice, I called up the issuing bank and asked them to reverse the charges. Which they did! It was a quick fix. I find that being cloying on the phone doesn't hurt. I didn't raise my voice. I know the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but the CS reps hear that all day. When I'm nice, I 9 out of 10 times get nice service back.

PS This also applies to when you call you House representative or Senator. Those poor interns get yelled at all day. Say your piece and wish them a great day, too.

PPS Senatrix should be a word. I have two of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment